Monday, 6 February 2012
Listography- top five phrases that drive me crazy
I think Kate has her work cut out this week as she asks us to list our top five annoying phrases. I'm not sure if she'll regret it when she reads all the entries (and there are already a LOT)!!
Initially I thought I was fairly easy going and couldn't really think of any. Then I started reeeaaalllyyy thinking..and that's when my list got pretty long. So only five? Hmmm, here goes...
1) 'Double trouble' or 'you've got your hands full'. Standard phrases to quote to a twin mummy. Neither are helpful, In fact both equally annoying.
2) 'Don't take this the wrong way/personally'. Clearly I will and you know I will otherwise you wouldn't phrase it like that.
3) Any poncy phrases such as 'touch base', 'take it offline', 'pro tem'. Usually said by managing director types or those that usually think they are more posh than they are. Just say what you mean. In proper English like the rest of us commoners!
4) 'Don't you know?' Usually as in 'don't you know what a blah blah is?/who blah blah is/what blah blah does?' No. That's why I asked. I do however know that I now feel like a bloody moron. Thanks.
5) I have to put this one in here as my eldest son (well, by five minutes!) has learnt to say this and I am hearing it A LOT!! It's one most parents become familiar with at some point. Yes, that's right, it's the beloved 'why?' usually in my house it's followed by 'because I said so!!!!'
So there we have it. My top five phrases / things people say that wind me up something rotten. I'm sure there are more. I'll probably wake up in a cold sweat having dreamt of more irritating ones but it'll be too late so these will have to do for now!!
Pop over to http://katetakes5.blogspot.com to check out what phrases really grate on others!